Brett,

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:44:44 -0500 (EST), Brett I. Holcomb
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I start up using xdm and get an login window on vt7 from which I can
> login.  However, if I got to another console (say vt5) and run startx I am
> told that display 0 is in use - well of course it is!  I have
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers setup as this:
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> I've checked the bug about pam_env.conf messing up things so I commented
> out the display and Xauth lines but still does not work.
>
> What is the proper way to stop and restart X when running in this mode?  I
> tried /etc/init.d/xdm restart and that simply gives me a grey X screen
> with a cursor instead of a login box.

I don't know if this will help, but from the new virtual terminal line, try:

$ startx -- :1 &

The & is optional. That should start up another X display. You can
then swap between them using Ctrl+Alt+Fx buttons...

HTH,

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)