Ed Jabbour ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> It had been a long while, so I ran an emerge -uDvp world.  Now, my wireless
> doesn't work.  I tried manual:
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid Arachne key s:xxxxxxxx open
>
> I get: Error for wireless request "Set encode" (8B2A :
>           SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
>
> iwconfig:
>     IEEE 80211g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname: "Arachne"

I've had great success with:

# iwconfig ath0 essid "MyESSIDName" mode managed channel 6 enc \
0011-2233-4455-6677-8899-AABB-CC

> /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start:
>   Starting wlan0
>   Configuring wireless network for wlan0
>   Couldn't associate with any access points on wlan0
>   Failed to configure wireless for wlan0

I've recently had the same trouble with gentoo's init scripts, hence,
the above command.

> /etc/conf.d/wireless is unchanged from when it worked, as is /etc/conf.d/net.
>
> The symlinks in /etc/init.d are also unchanged.    I have baselayout
> 1.11.10-r4.  At boot:
>
> wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device <mac address> using driver netwg511
> wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP, WPA with TKIP, WPA with AES/CCMP
>
> All the ndiswrapper stuff looks OK as far as I can tell.   Any advice
> appreciated.  Thanks.

It looks like the bug is in gentoo's initscripts...  Give the command
above a try (with your info, of course) and let us know what happens.

hth,

Cooper.