I think the problem is "reply all".  Even your message was "To:
@robin.gentoo.org", with "Reply-to: @gentoo.org", so if I had hit
reply-all in thunderbird instead of reply, two copies would have gone out.

My guess is mail clients are doing the right thing, but people get in
the habit of using reply-all.

-Richard