On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:57:10 -0500 (EST), A. Khattri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Dave Nebinger wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, Holly, I don't think linux will be ready for the desktop for
> > quite awhile (yes, that does make me sad).
>
> Novell disagrees:
> http://business.newsforge.com/business/05/03/23/1755222.shtml?tid=152&tid=2&tid=37&tid=18
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=397A879F-C1BB-4CBE-A8A4-633DE1B25200
>
> AT&T disagrees:
> http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aZ2JnBlm5tOs&refer=us
>
> Various governments disagree:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/technology/29computer.html?
>
> The tide is turning.

Yeah, Linux on the business desktop is going to happen, or really
already has in so many places.

Where Linux won't happen on the desktop in any big way is in the home.
Configuration is too difficult. Until all configuration for a standard
home machine can be handled in gui apps somewhere it won't work since
Grandma and her 7 year old grand daughter cannot be expect to run vi.

My now 12 going on 13 year old son has never had anything other than
Linux. He got his first machine at 8 or 9. He used to bitch about
things here and there, and still does once in awhile, but with Cedega
he can play Half Life. He does all homework with Open Office and the
Gimp. He and I are trying to set up some sort of video capture/movie
edit setup for him to capture XBox things he wants to show people. It
works.

Kids are very adaptable. They will complain but it stops pretty
quickly. I wanted mine on Linux because I especially didn't want a kid
using Windows on my network. It's bad enough with an adult doing it.

My biggest worry now is Internet predators. I wish there was a real
solution for that sort of stuff under Linux, like Net-nanny etc. under
Windows. That's what scares me as a parent.

- Mark