Ed Jabbour ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> On Thursday 31 March 2005 08:33 am, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > Ed Jabbour ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> > > After days of wrangling with /etc/wireless, I got it -- almost.  One
> > > problem remains.  At boot, wlan0 sets up fine, but then dhcpcd fails,
> > > returning that "dhcpcd is already running on wlan0".  Once booted, I
> > > must
> > > remove /var/run/dhcpcd-wlan0.pid and then run dhcpcd.  I can't seem to
> > > find what in the wirelss script is causing this and can't think of where
> > > else to look.   Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.
> >
> > It sounds like net.wlan0 isn't being shutdown cleanly.  When you
> > shutdown do you see wlan0 being brought down?  That is when that pid
> > lock file would be removed.
> >
> > Try shutting down net.wlan0 manually (/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop) and
> > either restart it or reboot.  Do you get the same error?
>
> Nope.  Shutting down manually:
>
> [Thu Mar 31] root:/etc/conf.d$ /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop
>  * Unmounting network filesystems ...                [ ok ]
>  * Unmounting NFS filesystems ...                       [ ok ]
>  * Stopping NFS statd ...                                      [ ok ]
>  * Stopping portmap ...                                        [ ok ]
>  * Stopping wlan0
>  *    Bringing down wlan0
>  *       Stopping dhcpcd on wlan0 ...                     [ ok ]
>  *       Shutting down wlan0 ...                             [ ok ]
>
> Starting:
>
> Thu Mar 31] root:/etc/conf.d$ /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
>  * Starting wlan0
>  *    Configuring wireless network for wlan0
>  *       wlan0 connected to "Arachne" at ............
>  *       in managed mode (WEP enabled - restricted)
>  *    Bringing up wlan0
>  *       dhcp
>  *          Running dhcpcd ...                       [ ok ]
>  *          wlan0 received address 192.168.1.5
>
> Then, at shutdown, everything, including dhcpcd, flits by the screen as in
> the "stop" stuff above.  However, reboot delivers the same "dhcpcd already
> running."  It is a conundrum.

Well, one of two things is happening.

1.) net.wlan0 isn't being called during shutdown. Doubtful.
2.) net.wlan0 is called, but errors out before killing dhcpcd.

If it's erroring out during shutdown, assuming your syslog daemon hasn't
been killed yet, there should be an 'rc-scripts' error message in your
logs regarding unable to bring down wlan0.

Take a look and see if there is anything there.

Cooper.