I assume it is a video for linux (v4l) or v4l2 driver, in which case
when the modules loads it should create a device called something like
/dev/v4l/video0

What is the module that gets loaded when you plug the thing in anyway?
(lsmod before and after should tell you)

Take a look around in the /dev directory, and look at dmesg and your
kernel logs when you plug the device in.

xawtv is probably the simplest front end to see that you are in fact
picking up a video signal.

$ xawtv -c /dev/v4l/video0

actually I just noticed xawtv also has a hwscan option like this:

$ xawtv -hwscan
This is xawtv-3.86, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.11-gentoo-r2)
looking for available devices
port 105-105
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV10 Video Overlay

port 106-137
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV05 Video Blitter

port 138-138                            [ -xvport 138 ]
    type : Xvideo, video overlay
    name : NVIDIA Video Interface Port

/dev/v4l/video0: OK                     [ -device /dev/v4l/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    flags: overlay capture tuner

Which should help you find the device.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:16:41 -0700
Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005 12:34 PM, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I found these with a simple google:
> >
> > gv4l - front end to transcode's v4l functions
> > streamer - front end to xawtv
> > ffmpeg - command line
> > kmediagrab
> > avicap
> >
> > I am sure there are many many others.
> >
> > actually kino will capture v4l too.
> >

> Nick,
>    Thanks. I was looking at a couple of these yesterday. I think they
> might work, or at least do part of the job, if I could figure out how
> to tell them about the Dazzle device. So far that eludes me.
>
>    How do I tell Kino about USB devices? Don't feel the need for big
> explanations if you can jsut point me toward a web site somewhere.
>
> thanks much,
> Mark

Nick Rout
Barrister & Solicitor