On Apr 4, 2005 4:54 PM, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I assume it is a video for linux (v4l) or v4l2 driver, in which case
> when the modules loads it should create a device called something like
> /dev/v4l/video0

Humm...could that be a problem? I'll have to look and see if Video for
Linux is even compiled.

> What is the module that gets loaded when you plug the thing in anyway?
> (lsmod before and after should tell you)

OK, the Gentoo laptop is in Win XP doing Pro Tools work at the moment
so I'll try this first on an FC2 machien sitting here. Maybe it will
tell me enough to make forward progress.

On this machine I see no change in lsmod before and after plugging the
device in.

> Take a look around in the /dev directory, and look at dmesg and your
> kernel logs when you plug the device in.

>From the end of dmesg:

usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7

There is apparently no /dev/v4l directory on this box:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]$ ls /dev/v4l
ls: /dev/v4l: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]$

There is a /dev/video0

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]$ ls /dev/v
Display all 152 possibilities? (y or n)
vbi        vcs24      vcs44      vcs7       vcsa26     vcsa46     vcsa9
vbi0       vcs25      vcs45      vcs8       vcsa27     vcsa47     video
vbi1       vcs26      vcs46      vcs9       vcsa28     vcsa48     video0
vbi2       vcs27      vcs47      vcsa       vcsa29     vcsa49     video1
vbi3       vcs28      vcs48      vcsa1      vcsa3      vcsa5      video1394
vcs        vcs29      vcs49      vcsa10     vcsa30     vcsa50     video2
vcs1       vcs3       vcs5       vcsa11     vcsa31     vcsa51     video3
vcs10      vcs30      vcs50      vcsa12     vcsa32     vcsa52     vmmon
vcs11      vcs31      vcs51      vcsa13     vcsa33     vcsa53     vnet0
vcs12      vcs32      vcs52      vcsa14     vcsa34     vcsa54     vnet1
vcs13      vcs33      vcs53      vcsa15     vcsa35     vcsa55     vnet2
vcs14      vcs34      vcs54      vcsa16     vcsa36     vcsa56     vnet3
vcs15      vcs35      vcs55      vcsa17     vcsa37     vcsa57     vpcmouse
vcs16      vcs36      vcs56      vcsa18     vcsa38     vcsa58     vsys
vcs17      vcs37      vcs57      vcsa19     vcsa39     vcsa59     vttuner
vcs18      vcs38      vcs58      vcsa2      vcsa4      vcsa6      vtx
vcs19      vcs39      vcs59      vcsa20     vcsa40     vcsa60     vtx0
vcs2       vcs4       vcs6       vcsa21     vcsa41     vcsa61     vtx1
vcs20      vcs40      vcs60      vcsa22     vcsa42     vcsa62     vtx2
vcs21      vcs41      vcs61      vcsa23     vcsa43     vcsa63     vtx3
vcs22      vcs42      vcs62      vcsa24     vcsa44     vcsa7
vcs23      vcs43      vcs63      vcsa25     vcsa45     vcsa8
[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]$

Maybe FC2 is a bit different.

> xawtv is probably the simplest front end to see that you are in fact
> picking up a video signal.

Need to boot the Gentoo laptop now. xawtv is not on this machien either...

Back in a few...

Cheers,
Mark

> --