Are there any KDM experts out there that can offer some insight into
this problem...

I am migrating a system from SuSE linux 7.3 (I havn't found any strings
identifying the version, but it says KDE2.2.1 on the box) to current
Gentoo, and am having trouble finding a kdmrc setting that is as
usable as the old SuSE one.

I have configured the greeter on both systems with as far as I can see
equivalent settings, with no default user or user list, and a clock
rather than bitmap. That all works ok.

Now on my old SuSE KDM, underneath the Password line is heading
"Session Type" with a drop down menu which in its passive state
shows the window manager that will be used by default once you
enter your user name.

On the bottom line are four buttons/menus: Go, Clear, Menu and Shutdown,
with 'menu' just containing the 'restart x-server' option.

However on my Gentoo install, I get no "Session Type" line, and only
three options on the bottom line: Login, Clear and Menu.

Now the "Shutdown" and "Session Type" functionality does exist on
the gentoo setup, but it is burried down in the 'Menu' sub-menus,
nowhere near as convenient to get to, and as I change window managers
all the time, annoying not to have a display of what the default is
going to be for the next session.

So I am curious - is there a setting somewhere that I have not
stumbled accross that controls this behaviour? Has KDM taken a
backward step? Or did SuSE make some improvements that hasn't found
their way into other systems yet??

I know it may seem like a small cosmetic feature, but it is the first
thing someone sees when sitting down at the system, and it creates a
bad first impression if the move to gentoo looks like having lost
functionality even before you log in.

Any ideas?

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com