On 5/12/05, Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 06:15:21PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
>
> > So it seems like it's the Gentoo client over the network and not the
> > Gentoo server that causes the slowdown?
>
>   I had a similar situation with once with simply ftp-ing data between
> two machines at home.  Try putting all your home machines in /etc/hosts
> on all your home machines.  That may be a problem if the laptop gets a
> dynamic IP via dhcp.

No, it's something more nefarious than that....

1) All machines have the same hosts file. None of the machines are using dhcp.

2) The FC2 client logs into both Gentoo and FC2 hosts fast

3) The Gentoo client logs into both Gentoo and FC2 hosts slow

Seems (to me) like it's the Gentoo client. I don't know where to look
for any special messages. I've looked in dmesg and /var/log/messages.
I do not see any warnings or errors on either the client or the host.

I have not yet tried re-emerging with different flags but I'm sort of
at that point now.

Thanks,
Mark