On 5/10/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >2) The contents o the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.
> >
> >Where are these files? They do not seem to be present on my machine?
> >Should they not be created by some part of the baseline system
> >install?
> >

> The files hosts.allow and hosts.deny are the configuration files for TCP
> wrappers/tcpd access control.  Anything that runs under tcpd (or is
> built with +tcpd) will use these files to determine what machines can
> (hosts.allow) or cannot (hosts.deny) access the server.

Humm...so am I *required to have the files? Maybe that's part of the problem!

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv nfs-utils

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-fs/nfs-utils-1.0.6-r6  +tcpd 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
dragonfly ~ #

> So if you USE +tcpd (usually a good idea!), you'll want to read "man
> hosts.allow".
>
> >*  sys-apps/xinetd
> >

> I don't know if inetd is required, but if so, this is the one you want
> on the server.

It's not shown as needed on this Gentoo Wiki:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_NFS