On 5/12/05, cfk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I have gotten "emerge -pv world" to where there are no dependencies
> left.

Great!

> At this point, before I do "emerge kde", I tried 'startx' to see what would
> happen.
>
> X fails to start and complains that it cannot find any screens. It complains
> about framebuffer and related items.

So this sounds like you might not have run the xorgconfig program and
properly configured your system yet. See the Gentoo install docs for
info on doing that.

> What I did yesterday was 'genkernel' with all defaults. The motherboard I am
> using is an Intel with the integrated i810 graphics device (Cayman2). So, at
> this point, I started off a 'make menuconfig' in /usr/src/linux with i810
> support (experimental) and frame buffer support (experimental) along with
> including the ethernet driver in the kernel.
>
> I noticed SMP was enabled by default, and I disabled that.
>
> So, a 'make clean && make bzimage && make modules && make modules_install &&
> make install' is currently going on.

If you are using a 2.6 series kernel it's only

make && make modules_install

> Am I correct in hoping that will cause X to then start when I reboot tomorrow,
> or am I missing the boat somewhere along the lane.

I think it's just the xorgconfig that you probably need to do. X will
start (I hope) after you run that successfully. don't be surprised if
X looks pretty bad when you do that but if you get a mouse cursor
you're pretty much there.

Good luck,
Mark