Tom & Holly,
   thanks for the responses.

On 5/14/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Thanks. I'm surprised that the Gnome ebuid depends on Mozilla. I have
> > Firefox installed. I would have hoped that would be enough.
>
> The gnome metapackage includes epiphany, which does depend on Mozilla.
> Evolution (also included) might depend on Mozilla as well.
> >
> > I'm looking at installing Gnome-light instead but I'm not clear if the
> > emerge -C gnome step will uninstall everything and cause me to have to
> > completely rebuild all parts of Gnome.
>
> No, it won't uninstall everything. In fact, it won't uninstall anything
> except the meta-build itself. It's kind of annoying, as I just did this
> myself, and still don't know how to clean my system of more GNOME cruft
> than the obvious (Epiphany, Mozilla, Evolution and Evolution-data-server).

Right. I'm going to take the cruft part slowly over the next couple of
days. There's no reason to rush that part as all it does is slow down
emerge world operations which I won't be doing immediately.

Like you I've removed Epiphany which took care of Mozilla, and
Evolution. I guess I need to get rid of the data-server part also.

> But in any case, I think that what uninstalling the metapackage does is
> frees the underlying packages, so you *can* uninstall them, without
> having your next emerge -u world try to drag Mozilla, Epiphany, et al
> back in (because the metapackage depends on them).
>
> Hope this helps.

Very much so. Thanks!

- Mark