On 5/13/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:18:22 +0100, Russ Brown wrote:
>
> > Say I run emerge -pvD world, and ten packages pop out.
> >
> > I look at the list and decide that I want to emerge all but one of the
> > things on the list.
> >
> > How do I go about this without running an emerge command with nine
> > packages passed to emerge, and causing the world file pollution
> > described in this thread?
>
> emerge --oneshot package1 package2...
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick

Neil,
   Sorry - this is a bit long but there's really only two issues - why
mozilla and - why two versions of libgtkhtml? Thanks.

   I've taken one machine and worked on getting it cleaned up. This
machine is farily new and has a much more modest
/var/lib/portage/world file with about 125 entries. Before doing the
--depclean step emerge tells me

*** WARNING *** : emerge --update --deep --newuse world TO VERIFY
*** WARNING *** : SANITY IN THIS REGARD.

So I've gone through and made sure everything is updated, but I'm left
with two curious problems:

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv --oneshot --update --deep --newuse world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-2.6.3 [2.6.0] -accessibility
-debug 382 kB
[ebuild  N    ] www-client/mozilla-1.7.8  +crypt -debug +gnome +java
-ldap -mozdevelop -moznomail -moznoxft -mozsvg -mozxmlterm -postgres
+ssl -xinerama -xprint 30,193 kB

Total size of downloads: 30,576 kB
dragonfly ~ #

The first problem is that Mozilla is not in this system and it's not
in the world file. Why is emerge trying to bring it in?

dragonfly ~ # cat /var/lib/portage/world | grep mozilla
www-client/mozilla-firefox
dragonfly ~ #

The second problem is libgtkhtml. The results looked very strange
until I discovered that there are two versions installed:

dragonfly ~ # emerge -Cp libgtkhtml

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

 gnome-extra/libgtkhtml
    selected: 2.6.0 3.2.5
   protected: none
     omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

dragonfly ~ #

Some commands want to update 2.6.0 to 2.6.3, while others want to
reinstall 3.2.5, and still others don't want to do anything!

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv --oneshot --update --deep --newuse world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-2.6.3 [2.6.0] -accessibility
-debug 382 kB
[ebuild  N    ] www-client/mozilla-1.7.8  +crypt -debug +gnome +java
-ldap -mozdevelop -moznomail -moznoxft -mozsvg -mozxmlterm -postgres
+ssl -xinerama -xprint 30,193 kB

Total size of downloads: 30,576 kB
dragonfly ~ #

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv --oneshot --update --deep --newuse libgtkhtml

Calculating dependencies ...done!

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
dragonfly ~ #

dragonfly ~ # emerge -pv --oneshot libgtkhtml

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/libgtkhtml-3.2.5  -debug 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
dragonfly ~ #

Very strange to me! How should I handle this one?

Thanks,
Mark