On May 14, 2005, at 4:33 am, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
I hesitate to proceed before I understand
how Gentoo handles partitions, however.  will it bring up a list of
partitions similar to:

1             FAT32
2             ext3

and then I enter "1" to format the first partition, and then similarly
select "1" install gentoo onto just the one partition?

`cfdisk` will give you a list not dissimilar to this. You can safely boot to the Gentoo LiveCD & run `cfdisk` to view your current partitions without endangering them - `cfdisk` takes an active selection of "Write" before it alters your partition table.

Stroller.