On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 21:26, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 5/13/05, Phil Sexton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [..]
> > By commands, actually.  You can even install Gentoo from your
> > running Fedora installation, or from a Linux Live CD such as
> > Knoppix.
> [..]
>
> I was hoping for a screen shot to compare against anaconda.

Here is my screen shot :)

Sat May 14 12:52 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ #

Again, it uses bash commands, so I would have to show you what an x
terminal or a virtual terminal looks like with some typing in it.

Perhaps these will help:

Directory of Linux Bash Commands:
http://www.onlamp.com/linux/cmd/

Gentoo install instructions:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

> "The Gentoo Installation CDs are bootable CDs which contain a
> self-sustained Gentoo environment. They allow you to boot Linux from
> the CD. During the boot process your hardware is detected and the
> appropriate drivers are loaded. They are maintained by Gentoo
> developers."   -the handbook, 2c
>
> I'm somewhat familiar with knoppix.  when the handbook says
> "self-sustained" do they mean live, like knoppix?

Yes, they are what I call "live" CDs, since they both run from CD and
RAM.

The only difference is, with Knoppix, you can install Gentoo (or Debian
SID) from an x environment.  With the Gentoo install, you are limited to
6 virtual terminals to work with in the chroot environment.

In Knoppix, you have 3 spare virtual terminals and one x session in
which you can open as many x terminals as you wish.

I'm not sure about the Gentoo install CD (I built mine either under a
running Fedora Core 1 or using Knoppix.

I pre-partitioned my disk first with the fdisk utility, then I installed
WindowsXP, then my other distros (I quad boot Windows XP, Fedora Cores 1
and 3, and Debian Sid) and used grub for the bootloader.

Here is how I started, and this all takes root privileges:

# Make mountpoints and format partitions.
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
mkreiserfs /dev/hdb3
mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/gentoo
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mkswap /dev/hdb2
swapon
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr
mkreiserfs /dev/hdb5
mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/gentoo/usr
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/opt
mkreiserfs /dev/hdb6
mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/gentoo/opt
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/var
mkreiserfs /dev/hdb7
mount /dev/hdb7 /mnt/gentoo/var
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/home
mount /dev/hdb11 /mnt/gentoo/home
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/pub
mount /dev/hdb11 /mnt/gentoo/pub
cd /mnt/gentoo
tar -xvjpf /pub/downloads/tars/gentoo/stage3-i686-2005.0.tar.bz2
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
# First emerges
emerge system
emerge app-portage/gentoolkit
emerge app-portage/esearch
eupdatedb

Then, emerge (i.e download, compile and install, a Gentoo bash command
most other distros lack) the other stuff you want.

--
Phil
Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy