On Thu, May 19, 2005 3:37 pm, Philip Webb said:
> 050519 Neil Bothwick wrote:

>> What is the world file
>> if not a home made list of the packages you have installed?
>
> it's not home-made, it's system-made:

It is home made in that only files I specify to be included in it, by
emerging them directly, are.

> anything you emerge (apart from dependencies) without '--oneshot'.
> if you update a pkg which you've installed to support something else
> -- Qt would be a good example -- , it gets dumped in 'world',
> unless you add '--oneshot'.  then if you delete eg KDE ,
> Qt remains in 'world' & keeps getting remerged without a good reason.

If a package is merged as a dependency, it will be updated by "emerge
world -uavDN", so it won't be added to the world file. There is never a
need to merge a dependency manually.

> i made a file using 'qpkg -I' & keep it upto-date by hand with Vim
> whenever i add/remove/update a pkg: that way i know exactly what's there
> & whether they're 'W'orld, 'S'ystem or [for KDE] (i mark them
> individually).

But qpkg -I does list all installed packages, whereas a world file should
never list dependencies, unless you do something wrong.

> i really don't understand why 'world' is set up the way it is:
> it's contrary to the fundamental principle of Gentoo,
> which is that the user decides what s/he has installed in their box.

I don't understand what your complaint is. world should only contain what
you have decided to install on your box. If it doesn't, you have somehow
messed up world, so you may as well edit this as create a new file.

--
Neil Bothwick