I thought so, but it wasn't very clear.  yum is not a packaging system,
it is a front end to a packaging system (rpm) [1]. It will work on a
number of different distros.

You need to ask each distro why it does not package a particular
program, or version thereof.

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/
"Yum is an automatic updater and package installer/remover for rpm
systems. It automatically computes dependencies and figures out what
things should occur to install packages. It makes it easier to maintain
groups of machines without having to manually update each one using
rpm."