> Why would they remove the Linux version?  That would mean
> less people will use and pay for their software.

As soon as their protocol has penetrated all corporate VOIP
networks, the few linux users aren't of any interest.

Maybe they will keep the Linux client available, maybe for
free, but as always in the commercial software world, it is
not guaranteed. It even can happen that they stop the free
linux client and change the protocol at the same time - and
exclude linux users from their network. Companies then will
think "Linux cannot be used on the desktop, because there's
no Skype client for it.". I can also think about other
scenarios.

> > So, if you like your freedom, search for free
> > alternatives, and if there are none, help building them.
> > There already are alternatives like linphone, SFLphone or
> > KPhone.
>
> Do those alternatives let you call normal phone lines?
>  It's hard to tell from these:
>
> http://www.linphone.org
> http://www.sflphone.org/
> http://www.wirlab.net/kphone/

That's the problem. You can easily use the software mentioned
to call a friend who gave you his IP address. But you cannot
call into the classical phone net. To do so, you need a
service provider who has gateways all over the world. And
this is something which cannot be solved by the open source
community.

Lets talk about further advantages of Skype:

* Real-name "Telphone numbers"
* Bandwidth saving (=> ISDN)
* Ease of use
* Possibility to call into the classical phone net

The last one can be provided by any provider who has some
servers. But as in the instant message world, the providers
often make their protocols incompatible not for technical,
but for customer gagging :( .

Best regards

    ce