Skype knows nothing about artsd or esd. The reason you see
that message is that the execution of skype is done by
a shell script which checks for the existence of one of
these daemons, and if found, fools skype into using it
via some clever (but not original) subterfuge.

I assume the wrapper was implemented by whoever packaged skype
for gentoo. The library subterfuge seems to have been developed
by the sound daemon developers as a transition aid to allow
legacy OSS apps to be used.

The mechanism involved is to insert a new dynamic linked
library for the interface to the open()/close()/.. etc
system calls, and check every open() call to see if it
is opening '/dev/dsp'. If it is, you replace it with a
sound daemon initialization and intercept all subsequent
I/O on the associated file descripter. All other IO is
passed through to the OS normally.

I have been tinkering with it because I wanted to use skype on
a remote X terminal with networked audio. That requires
intercepting the /dev/dsp I/O for both play and record, and
the full duplex operation is proving tricky.

If you want to see the details of what is going on, look at the
shell script:
  % more /opt/skype/skype
  #!/bin/bash
  #
  # Wrapper script to run Skype with sound wrapper when possible
  logfile="${HOME}/.Skype/skype.log"
  progname="skype"
  progpath="/opt/${progname}/"
  progopts="--resources-path ${progpath}"
  shellcheck1=` which artsshell 2> /dev/null `
  shellcheck2=` which esd 2> /dev/null `
  artsdcheck=` ps x | grep artsd | grep -v grep `
  ## We use ps ax for esd as esd can be used globaly for all users.
  esdcheck=` ps ax | grep "esd ." | grep -v grep `
  skypecmd="${progpath}${progname}.bin"
  wrapsound="yes"
  .
  .
  .

You will see it is easy enough to get rid of those annoying messages
if you arn't interested in the sound daemons.

Regards,
DigbyT