On 6/10/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:28:40 -0400, Colin wrote:
>
> > >Probably.  You can save space with a compressed
> > >filesystem like jjfs or squashfs.  You probably want
> > >to mount it read only since flash has limited write
> > >cycles.
>
> > Kind of off on a tangent, but there are other alternatives to a
> > write-protected file system.  Instead of using a USB flash disk, there
> > are IDE-CompactFlash adapters that would achieve the same result but
> > with 100% IDE compatibility, so the disk just shows up as /dev/hd[x]
> > like a normal hard drive and doesn't require any rootdelaying or USB
> > drivers.  I don't know if CF cards are lockable, I know SD's are.
>
> CF cards aren't lockable, but some CD-IDE adaptors have a write protect
> jumper. Of course, you'll have problems saving any settings with a write-
> protected /etc, so JFFS2 may be a better option. This is a filesystem
> specifically for flash driver, that avoids repeated writing to the same
> part of the disk.

For me this is about how to make a quiet MythTV frontend machine, not
a 'Gentoo PC.' No hard drive is less noise. My thought was that once
the machine was configured I'd like to lock the flash and never write
ANYTHING to it. The only time I'd possibly do anything on the flash
was to update the system, maybe once every few months. Other than that
if the machine is turned on and playing TV shows then I'd be happy
with no logging or any type and the drive doesn't change at all.

Longer term maybe PXE booting is a better solution but my first
attempts at that haven't worked well. This was conceived as an
experiment to see if a Pundit-R with nothing more than a processor &
memory added to it internally could suffice as a Myth frontend using
this external flash drive.

Thanks