maxim wexler wrote:

>> possible level, and may be more reliably. But maybe
>> your burner is
>> broken (?)
>

> No, it's fine. Still under warranty. Works fine under
> WinXP.

If you have a FAT partition for sharing files between Linux and XP, you
could copy the ISO to there and burn it under XP.  A USB flash memory
device would also work for the transfer.

> Perhaps our correspondent's grub update plan is the
> way to go. Does emerge know enough to re & re grub
> without leaving too many loose ends.

You are certainly welcome to try, whether it is download the source
directly from gnu.org or upgrading via emerge.  I have my doubts as to
whether that will help any though.

-Richard