Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>>I've found that squashfs is an iteresting option for doing backups/cloning
>>because the compressed filesystem can also be reused to make a livecd or
>>livedvd.  For normal cloning, I mount the squashfs and use rsync to copy the
>>files into a fresh ext3 partition.
>

> This is interesting.. How is it done? Can you elaborate more??

Install squashfs-tools and use mksquashfs to make compressed filesystems
(similar to tar archives but mountable).  The standard gentoo-sources are
already patched with squashfs so you only have to enable it in the kernel
config.

To do online backups of my desktop system I have a script that backs up my
whole root filesystem with the exception of some files (especially some
sensitive ones in /etc).  I do separate backups of /etc.  Occasionally I use my
squashfs backups to create livedvds.  I use a genkernel initrd that is patched
to use unionfs for copy on write functionality.

Zac