Hi Claus,
   Not running KDE either. This is a very minimalistic Gentoo machine
that runs nothing but mythfrontend as part of a MythTV network. I'm
currently using fluxbox and have only one user called mythtv. That
user logs in and mythtv runs. When the user quits mythfrontend the
machine (currently) goes back to xdm. With a shutdown button I'd be in
pretty good shape for a keyboard based system.

   Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mark