> Error 17
>
> Installing to /dev/hda2, the gentoo boot part, gave
> same result
>
> Well, at least now it gives me an error num.

...answering himself

17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested
exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized
by GRUB.

This reminds me. When I installed 2005.0(sempron-box)
I tried to mkreiserfs /dev/hda2, the boot partition,
since that gave no problem in 2004.3(k6-box)but it
gave me some sort of error, forget which, so I went
for the default, or anyways, the suggestion in the
manual, ext2, so maybe there is a problem with the fs.
Perhaps if I just re-formatted /boot and re-emerge
grub. Or, at least check the fs. Come to think about
it, the sempron seems to find it easier reading the
floppy than the hd. What d'ya think people? And what
*was* that mysterious error all about anyway? Here's
another: if /dev/hda2 *is* corrupt, how comes it that
it can be read and written to without error?

Discuss :)