Richard Watson wrote:

Hi - I have Windows XP installed on /dev/hda1. This drive is jumpered as the
master. I installed Gentoo on /dev/hdb (which is jumpered as slave) with the
standard partitioning scheme from the Gentoo Handbook.

I'm using LILO.

I tried loading /sbin/lilo to /dev/hdb1. It seemed to work (loaded my images
OK) but gave a message saying the drive was not a master. When I rebooted it
went straight into XP.

I suppose I could use partition magic to create /boot on /dev/hda1 …
That's what I did. I have XP and Gentoo sharing the same disk, so in cases like mine, PartitionMagic is your best friend.

Your BIOS isn't set to boot from the slave drive. Most BIOSes don't have this option, but RAID BIOSes often do. Since your system boots Windows, your boot disk is /dev/hda. Install LILO to /dev/hda (no partition!) instead of /dev/hdb1. Then configure it properly and you'll be dual-booting in no time.

I did that with GRUB, but the same principle applies.

--
Colin