David Morgan schreef:
> On 12:39 Wed 13 Jul     , Holly Bostick wrote:
>>Obviously -- or at least it seems obvious to me, but that doesn't say
>>much-- that if the package is hard-masked, the USE flag that is
>>associated with it will be disabled (because the package the USE flag
>>would call is unavailable).
>

> Maybe, but that's not the way portage works these things out

Well, it looks like you're at least partially right-- I went back to the
source:

> # Copyright 2004 Gentoo Foundation.
> # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/use.mask,v 1.14
> 2005/05/20 11:52:10 lu_zero Exp $
>
> # This file masks out USE flags that are simply NOT allowed in the default
> # profile for any architecture.  This works, for example, if a non-default
> # profile (such as the selinux profiles) have a USE flag associated with
> # them.
>
> uclibc
>
> # aqua USE flag is only valid on Mac OS X
> aqua
>
> # amd64 only:
> emul-linux-x86
>
> # sparc only:
> ultra1
>
> # x86 only
> divx4linux
> win32codecs
> kqemu

> # Copyright 2004 Gentoo Foundation.
> # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/x86/use.mask,v 1.8
> 2005/05/21 01:13:41 lu_zero Exp $
>
> # This file masks out USE flags that are simply NOT allowed in the default
> # x86 profile.  This works, for example, if another architecture's
> # profile have a USE flag associated with (such as altivec, mmx, etc).
>
> # Unmask x86 instruction sets
> -mmx
> -mmx2
> -mmxext
> -sse
> -sse2
> -3dnow
> -3dnowext
> -win32codecs

Plus, these files are where the masks are, the use.mask for the uclibc
profile only contains

> pam
> nls
> nptl
> nis
> # aqua USE flag is only valid on Mac OS X
> aqua
>
> # this seems to pull in pre compiled glibc libs.
> divx4linux
>
> emul-linux-x86

and nothing else (and the other folders in the profile folder don't
contain a use.mask).

Oh, wait a minute, I think I found it:

> # Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
> # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/selinux/use.mask,v 1.1 2005/05/08
> 23:37:08 pebenito Exp $
>
> -selinux
>
> # disallow posix acl since this is SELinux
> acl
>
> # aqua USE flag is only valid on Mac OS X
> aqua
>
> # must use a specific SELinux profile that unmasks this
> uclibc
>

> # Copyright 1999-2004 Gentoo Foundation
> # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
> # $Header:
> /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/selinux/2005.1/x86-uclibc/use.mask,v 1.3
> 2005/05/14 20:53:38 pebenito Exp $
>
> -uclibc
>
> -win32codecs
>
> # PPC instructions
> altivec
>
> nls

But from this, it looks like there is no way to unmask the USE flags in
question-- "simply NOT allowed" seems pretty definitive, although a
careful reading of man portage might reveal a loophole. But I doubt it..
and in fact, it does not seem to have any such, from the files list in
man portage:

> SYNOPSIS
>        /etc/
>               make.globals
>               make.conf(5)
>
>        /etc/make.profile/
>               deprecated
>               make.defaults
>               packages
>               packages.build
>               package.provided
>               parent
>               use.defaults
>               use.mask
>               virtuals
>
>        /etc/portage/
>               bashrc
>               package.mask
>               package.unmask
>               package.keywords
>               package.use
>               mirrors
>               categories
>
>        /etc/portage/profile/
>               site-specific overrides of /etc/make.profile/
>
>        /usr/portage/profiles/
>               arch.list
>               categories
>               info_pkgs
>               info_vars
>               package.mask
>               profiles.desc
>               thirdpartymirrors
>               use.desc
>               use.local.desc
>               use.mask
>
>        /var/lib/portage/
>               world

Don't see anything like a use.unmask file.

What I would now be interested in, if this concerned me, is why this
particular USE flag is "simply NOT allowed" under this extremely
specialized profile, but I have no idea where I would find that
information (except maybe b.g.o, or the gentoo docs related to either
uclibc, hardened/selinux, masked packages, or all of the above).

Holly