I recently updated portage tree & kernel and using usual

genkernel --menuconfig --save-config all

produced unbootable system :(
Symptoms point most probably to udev being used by default etc. Here's
what I have in grub.conf:

title  Gentoo linux (updated)
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n root=/dev/ram0
real_root=/dev/hda11 init=/linuxrc video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
 initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n

I've tried to follow those:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_to_UDEV
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

But it doesn't look like it applies to my case or maybe I jumped too
far ahead and udev is not fully supported yet?

Here's what I get booting (I'm writing it from memory mostly so don't
think it's exact output):

-install: applet not found
/init: 41: ln: not found
/init: 45: cat: not found
/init: 172: touch: not found
/init: 172: cat: not found
/init: 172: sed: not found
>> Activating udev
/init: 178: mkdir: not found
/sbin/udevstart: not found
-=*something about not being able to mount root partition*=-
(boot)::

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator