Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> I recently updated portage tree & kernel and using usual
>
> genkernel --menuconfig --save-config all
>
> produced unbootable system :(
> Symptoms point most probably to udev being used by default etc. Here's
> what I have in grub.conf:
>
> title  Gentoo linux (updated)
>  root (hd0,0)
>  kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n root=/dev/ram0
> real_root=/dev/hda11 init=/linuxrc video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
>  initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
>

> I've tried to follow those:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
> http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_to_UDEV
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
>
> But it doesn't look like it applies to my case or maybe I jumped too
> far ahead and udev is not fully supported yet?
>
> Here's what I get booting (I'm writing it from memory mostly so don't
> think it's exact output):
>
> -install: applet not found
> /init: 41: ln: not found
> /init: 45: cat: not found

> /init: 172: touch: not found
> /init: 172: cat: not found
> /init: 172: sed: not found
>
>>>Activating udev
>
> /init: 178: mkdir: not found
> /sbin/udevstart: not found
> -=*something about not being able to mount root partition*=-
> (boot)::

FOr the initrd/initramfs in  >=genkernel-3.2 you need CONFIG_FEATURE_INSTALLER
enabled in the busybox config.  You'll have to build a new busybox unless you
want to use an older version of genkernel.

For most people the initrd isn't required anyways.  Are you just using it for
splash?  I think you can bypass the initrd in that case:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
root=/dev/hda11 video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n

Zac