Bill Roberts wrote:

Richard

I tried all of your suggestions, without success. See inline comments:

Note device and monitor section of xorg.conf at end:

I've had one further idea. I have a 4-port kvm switch (Cybex), it has
never interferred with anything in the past four or five years. Wonder
if. . . , maybe that could be having an effect.
One other thought. In full screen, ever other line is black, giving
the awful looking screen. Couldn't that have something to do with
interlacing?? Wish I understood all of this better.

Well, I'm not completely certain, but I don't think so. To the best of my knowledge, PC cards today work on a fairly simply frame-buffer concept...the software renders the image it wants displayed to a memory location, usually on the card itself. It then instructs the GPU that it has updated the image, and it is up to the GPU to read and create the analog signals required for the monitor. Interlacing should have nothing to do with the framebuffer, it should only be considered in instructing the GPU how to communicate with a given monitor. So it is only between the GPU and the monitor that I would expect a disagreement over interlacing to result in a problem like this, but the image would also not be synchronized correctly (rolling, distorting horizontally, basically looking like a 1970's-era American TV!)

Note that the above is even true for accelerated 2D or 3D graphics...the main difference there is that the GPU has many additional instructions available for common drawing operations so that the system CPU doesn't have to perform them. The idea is still the same...render first to a memory buffer, then let the hardware figure out how to transmit that.

My best guess here is that VMWare and the X server are having a disagreement about the layout of the framebuffer. In addition to width and height, a particular framebuffer is expected to have a particular alignment in memory for how many pixels per line, lines per screen, bits per pixel, and bits per color, and the order of the colors.

So, on that front, I have several other suggestions to try:

1. Try using the x.org 'nv' driver instead of the proprietary nvidia driver.

2. Try setting DefaultDepth to 16. (with both drivers)

3. Try setting DefaultDepth to 32 (and create the appropriate subsection for Depth 32). This may only work with the proprietary driver....

HTH,

-Richard