In order to use alsa-driver, you must not have alsa compiled in the
kernel, I dunno exactly how you got this error using alsa already if
everything was working before (unless you changed any settings on your
kernel config). Enable only the audio support, compile modules for
your sound-cards and let alsa-driver do the rest.

On 7/18/05, Stuart Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think I know why I have this error but I woul like another view
> before I -aCv the package, the error from this mornings emerge -aDuv
> world was :-
>
> checking for built-in ALSA... "yes"
> configure: error: You have built-in ALSA in your kernel.
>
> !!! Please attach the config.log to your bug report:
> !!! /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.9b/work/alsa-driver-1.0.9b/config.log
>
> !!! ERROR: media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.9b failed.
> !!! Function econf, Line 485, Exitcode 0
> !!! econf failed
> !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
> message.
>
> I skipped some of the less seemingly pertinent bits, my kernel is
> currently 2.6.11.5 and ALSA is built into it whereas when I first
> installed Gentoo [~6 months ago] I used genkernel which IIRC built
> ALSA as modules which I think has led me to the above error.
> I checked the changelog and this package
> media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.9b was last made x86 in febuary which may
> have been before I installed gentoo hence I think why my world is
> trying to install it even though I do not require it.
>
> Could someone confirm [or guide anyway ] for me that my "guess" is
> right and that I will be safe to remove the package.
> Alternatively I have got completly the wrong end of the stick and I am
> about to kill my system :)
> in which case a big NO!! dont do it will suffice .
>
> thanks stu
>

> --
> "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
> binary, those who don't"
>
> --Unknown
>
> --

Daniel da Veiga