On Friday 23 April 2010 17:23:31 Dale wrote:

> I have set up my HP printer with the cups interface before and it
> does not work as well as using the hp-setup command.  It either is
> slow to print or jobs just set in the que and never print at all.  I
> also always run hp-setup as root not a user.

You have to run hp-setup as root; nothing less will do.

Seems to me that hplip is a black art. I have an HP printer here which
sometimes is entirely complaisant, other times its jobs just sit there
until I find the right invocation, other times again nothing I do will
coax it into action, short of killing the job and trying again.

Surely, printing can't be as hard as this in this new age?

--
Rgds
Peter.