Hello Daniel

Contents of /etc/udev/rules.d:

40-hplip.rules                          70-persistent-cd.rules
56-hpmud_support.rules          70-persistent-net.rules
64-device-mapper.rules              77-nm-probe-modem-capabilities.rules
70-libgphoto2.rules                     90-hal.rules
70-libsane.rules                            91-usb_modeswitch.rules

What was asked for:

hp-scan  [ok]
xsane [ok]
scanimage [ok]
xscanimage [ok]

Although not asked for, and it is obvious: printing [failed]

I did not see your *explanation* of how the udev rules mv changes
things.  I only know *what* happens, not *why*.  Regardless, I
appreciate your help and seek to learn why the udev rules were
preventing me from printing.

Thanks

ubiquitous1980