On Tue, 04 May 2010 11:00:01 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote about
[gentoo-user] emerge --update - why doesn't it update my kde packages:

[snip]
>Still, eix confirmed there were quite a lot of kde packages which have
>newer versions, and indeed,
>emerge -auv1 -j4 --keep-going  $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
>upgraded 24 packages.
>
>Where does this discrepancy come from?

I think Portage does not consider packages that are not in your world
file, if the update is on world (or system).

To overcome this, I wrote a little script, called update_orphans.sh.
Here it is:

<-------cut-----------> update_orphans.sh <----------cut------------->
#!/bin/sh

eix -u | gawk '/^\[U\] / { print $2; }' | xargs -r emerge -v1uD

exit $?

I run it immediately after the main emerge, when I have rsync'ed the
Portage tree.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]