KH writes:

> Am 04.05.2010 21:41, schrieb Dale:

> > I have with-bdeps set in my make.conf so that it is enabled each
> > time. I just ran the command given above and it found over 40
> > packages that need to be upgraded.  I'm not even going to claim that
> > I understand all the chicken scratch in that command but apparently
> > stuff needed to be upgraded on my system that was being missed.

If a deep @system @world upgrade with --with-bdeps=y does not upgrade the
packages, then I think that they are either unnecessary packages that
should be depcleaned, or they should go into the world file. This
update_orphans.sh script is nice and I used a similar one when I had the
problem that a world update did not work due to blockers or something, but
normally it should not be necessary. And I believe these problems should
better be fixed another way.

> For me it does try to update the same packages as --with-bdeps, but it
> tries to pull in like 39 new packages.
>
> How and where have you integrated with-bdeps in make.conf?

From /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example:

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS allows emerge to act as if certain options are
#   specified on every run. Useful options include --ask, --verbose,
#   --usepkg and many others. Options that are not useful, such as --help,
#   are not filtered.
#EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=""

I have it set like this: EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

        Wonko