On Saturday 15 May 2010 22:56:22 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I want to setup an USB printer. So I http://localhost:631/, and notice
> that the interface has changed. And when I try to add a printer, the only
> options for a local printer are SCSI-printer and HAL printing backend. And
> on the next screen, I have to enter the device URI by hand. How should I
> know what to enter there? And wasn't there an autodetect feature? Is the
> new CUPS (1.4.3) generally behaving like this lately, or is something
> wrong with my setup?
>
> The usb use flag is set. lsusb shows the printer as "Bus 001 Device 003:
> ID 04a9:10a5 Canon, Inc. iP5200".
>
> What is a HAL printing backend? Do I have to add some crazy fdi stuff for
> the printer? CUPS does not even have a hal use flag. Dale, help!

Did you ever get this printer working with this particular gentoo
installation?  If not have you seen this page:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Canon_Pixma_Series

They make suggestions for drivers that may work.  CUPs requires that you have
installed the correct drivers for your device first.  Sorry I can't help more.
Last time I tried to get a canon working was more than 5 years ago and I
couldn't find a driver or ppd info at the time.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick