Alex Schuster wrote:
Hi there!

I want to setup an USB printer. So I http://localhost:631/, and notice
that the interface has changed. And when I try to add a printer, the only
options for a local printer are SCSI-printer and HAL printing backend. And
on the next screen, I have to enter the device URI by hand. How should I
know what to enter there? And wasn't there an autodetect feature? Is the
new CUPS (1.4.3) generally behaving like this lately, or is something
wrong with my setup?

The usb use flag is set. lsusb shows the printer as "Bus 001 Device 003:
ID 04a9:10a5 Canon, Inc. iP5200".

What is a HAL printing backend? Do I have to add some crazy fdi stuff for
the printer? CUPS does not even have a hal use flag. Dale, help!

        Wonko

Well I have a HP. I had trouble the other day, read that as the printer was turned off and I didn't know it, so I deleted the printer. That was when I realized it was turned off, so I turned it back on and hplip or something just added the printer without me doing anything. KDE showed a little pop up and it was done and it has printed ever since. This could be habit forming tho. ;-) I like things that "just work".

Do you have ppds and dbus USE flag enabled for cups? As far as I know, that is all I enabled for mine. Just for reference, this is my USE flags:

USE="X avahi dbus gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl tiff zeroconf -acl -kerberos -php -samba -slp -static -xinetd"

The two I mentioned above is the main ones I would guess. Most of mine are global flags.

I hope you see something to at least try.

Dale

:-)  :-)