On Sunday 16 May 2010 16:43:48 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > go
> >
> > > back to not starting at all.
> >
> > That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86
> > driver;
> > e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
>
> You mean like this, the way it's always been?  Or is there something more
> specific I have to do?
> treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
>      Available versions:  1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}
>      Installed versions:  1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
>      Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
>
> treat src #
>
> BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these
>  two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
>             (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
>             (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the
> layout.
>                     Using the first mouse device.
>

> line 457:   (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
>
> (MACH64 is my video card)
> (My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2
> adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea what
> Silken is)
>

> These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.

Kevin, what I would try first is to set INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse" in your
/etc/make.conf, then emerge x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and finally reboot.
Unless your mouse needs some special driver it will just work.

I've been down this road (with simpler hardware than yours it seems) and my
machine would not start xorg if I did not have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse
keyboard".  On my laptops I had to also add synaptics.

HTH
--
Regards,
Mick