On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:45:55 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>  <major snippage>

> >> noticed

> >> language, I

> >>  This

> >> compile

> >> may

> >> I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing"
> >> thread, but
> >> for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
> >> rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first.  On two machines of mine (x86)
> >> there
> >> was no problem.  On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of
> >> emerge -e
> >> world.
> >>
> >> I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it
> >
> > said it was
> > fixing.  Seems like my system should have been dead outright....
> >
> > Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.
> >
> > Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world
> > (again).
> >

> > I've got to ask, though, what good a revdep-rebuild does with the -p
>
> (pretend) flag.
> Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything.  It's a cautionary step only.  If you are about
to do something with the machine and remerging the whole universe would be
inconvenient at this moment in time, or you may want to reconsider/change some
of your settings, then --pretend will give you this chance.  I've made the
habit of using it almost without thinking, but you can of course not use it,
or substitute it with -a.
--
Regards,
Mick