On Tuesday 2010-05-18 18:56, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>>> Do you know any howto where it is done "the right way"?
>>
>> The right and easy way is to just use the supplied pmt-ehd(8) tool,
>> which works both interactively and non-interactively, depending on
>> whether it's called with enough arguments or not, so there's something
>> for everybody's flavor.
>> It does not do LUKS yet as of pam_mount 2.2, though. Guess my
>> todo list gets longer..
>
>:-)
>
>But given the fact that I store the key on the same hard-disk with the
>shadowed user-pw I could also leave that openssl-part straight away,
>correct?? seems the same level of (in)security to me ...

Yes. The point of keyfiles is to be able to change the password on
a volume.

Without a keyfile, a crypto program would take the password, hash it
somehow, and you get your AES key. Changing the password means having
a different AES key, meaning decrypting the disk will yield a
different result. In other words, changing the password would require
at least reading the old data, reencrypting it and writing it again.
Takes time.

With a keyfile, you retain the same AES key all the time, and encrypt
the AES key itself - reencrypting the AES key is quick, as it's
only some xyz bits, not terabytes.