Mark Knecht wrote:
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM,<meino.cra...@gmx.de>  wrote:
Hi,

is it possible to emerge all missing dependencies of a certain
application without emerging the application itself? And: Will
I hurt the system that way?

Best regards,
mcc
???

emerge -DuN application

???

What am I missing in the question?

Test it on a clean app with no dependencies missing. It should emerge
nothing. Then emerge -C one dependency and try it again. It should
pick up that dependency but not emerge the app itself.

You will not hurt your system doing that command.

- Mark

I wanted to follow up on my somewhat cavalier comment a couple of days
ago about doing emerge -C on a dependency. It was a bad comment for me
to make without adding some discussion around it. This can actually
harm your system if you emerge -C the wrong dependency. For instance,
emerge -C gcc or python is likely a bad thing to do as you will be
unable to build anything to get the system fixed again. However emerge
-C jack-audio-connection-kit as a dependency for something like Ardour
wouldn't harm the system but would demonstrate what I was talking
about.

Any new user reading this thread at some future date should ensure
that (at a minimum) if they emerge -C anything at all that at least
it's not part of @system. emerge should warn of this but it's best to
do a little study before pushing the enter key.

Cheers,
Mark

It is good that you explained that more. I thought about the same thing but thought maybe I was missing something that was mentioned earlier in another message.

I wouldn't always count on portage warning before removing a system package tho. I tested this by trying to remove python and portage said nothing it doesn't say on any other package even one in the world file. Future users may want to ask first either here or on the forums before removing something that may be questionable.

It may not be a bad idea for a thread with packages that should never be removed. Things such as gcc, python, baselayout etc. Maybe a user would find that and at least have a general guide. I also think it would be a good idea to have the same on the forums as a "sticky" thread that the mods can edit from time to time.

Dale

:-)  :-)