On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:40:56 -0500, Dale wrote:

> I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up.  Thing is,
> portage is not the only package manager being used.  Personally I think
> portage should be the official package manager and if you chose to use
> something else, you should know what not to do to the system.

That's restrictive and un-Gentoo-like. The official package manager is
anything that follows the EAPI specs.

> Portage
> requires python but I think one of the other package managers uses C or
> something.  Remove C on my rig, no big deal as far as being able to
> boot and re-emerge a package.  Do it on a system with some other
> package manager and you are in a mess.  Point being, it's sort of hard
> for them to list them since it depends on what package manager you are
> using.

That's a slightly different issue. No, portage isn't in @system directly,
but it is part of a list of package managers, one of which must be
installed, and Python is a dependency of that, so a warning would be
reasonable if you were using portage to do the unmerging. However, emerge
-C does warn against its use these days, and you shouldn't really use it
on anything that is not in @world.

--
Neil Bothwick

TEXAS VIRUS: Makes sure that it's bigger than any other file.