Mark Knecht wrote:
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com>
  wrote:

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM,<meino.cra...@gmx.de>    wrote:

Hi,

is it possible to emerge all missing dependencies of a certain
application without emerging the application itself? And: Will
I hurt the system that way?

Best regards,
mcc

???

emerge -DuN application

???

What am I missing in the question?

Test it on a clean app with no dependencies missing. It should emerge
nothing. Then emerge -C one dependency and try it again. It should
pick up that dependency but not emerge the app itself.

You will not hurt your system doing that command.

- Mark

I wanted to follow up on my somewhat cavalier comment a couple of days
ago about doing emerge -C on a dependency. It was a bad comment for me
to make without adding some discussion around it. This can actually
harm your system if you emerge -C the wrong dependency. For instance,
emerge -C gcc or python is likely a bad thing to do as you will be
unable to build anything to get the system fixed again. However emerge
-C jack-audio-connection-kit as a dependency for something like Ardour
wouldn't harm the system but would demonstrate what I was talking
about.

Any new user reading this thread at some future date should ensure
that (at a minimum) if they emerge -C anything at all that at least
it's not part of @system. emerge should warn of this but it's best to
do a little study before pushing the enter key.

Cheers,
Mark

It is good that you explained that more.  I thought about the same thing but
thought maybe I was missing something that was mentioned earlier in another
message.

I wouldn't always count on portage warning before removing a system package
tho.  I tested this by trying to remove python and portage said nothing it
doesn't say on any other package even one in the world file.  Future users
may want to ask first either here or on the forums before removing something
that may be questionable.

It may not be a bad idea for a thread with packages that should never be
removed.  Things such as gcc, python, baselayout etc.  Maybe a user would
find that and at least have a general guide.  I also think it would be a
good idea to have the same on the forums as a "sticky" thread that the mods
can edit from time to time.

Dale
Dale,
    The last thing I want to do is cause anyone any trouble. From that
point it's easier to just stay quiet all the time and let others more
experienced than myself answer all the questions. However I don't
really want to act that way - taking and never giving.

    I like your idea about lists of packages that should never be
removed. Personally I think a doc doc page somewhere in the
install/maintenance doc group would be good but it would need to be
well maintained. Understanding the absolute minimum number of things
that are required to use emerge and get a package built would be a
good doc, if it doesn't exist somewhere already.

    Personally I'm never 100% sure about anything that's not an
application package I installed myself and is sitting in the world
file. I suspect others - possibly you included - have similar fears at
times.

Cheers,
Mark

I know there are times when I don't say anything because I am unsure about the answer. If I do say something, I usually say I'm not sure or something to that effect. Like you, I never want to make matters worse than they already are for someone. I wouldn't want someone to do me that way either.

I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up. Thing is, portage is not the only package manager being used. Personally I think portage should be the official package manager and if you chose to use something else, you should know what not to do to the system. Portage requires python but I think one of the other package managers uses C or something. Remove C on my rig, no big deal as far as being able to boot and re-emerge a package. Do it on a system with some other package manager and you are in a mess. Point being, it's sort of hard for them to list them since it depends on what package manager you are using.

There are some packages I installed and still don't know much about. lol Sort of funny in a way. Most of them "just work" so we don't need to know much about them.

Dale

:-)  :-)