> As for libpng I've straightened it out on 3 other machines to date,
> all 64-bit, but this last machine is causing me fits. Fortunately I
> have two of these machines with the same motherboard, processor, VGA.
> Only sound is different. The other one worked out OK with libpng so
> I'll likely just slog through a comparison, config file by config
> file, to find the differences.

I would love to see the 3D scatter plot of "Time spent by Gentoo users
running revdep-rebuild (hrs)" vs. "Package updated" vs. "Date (2000-2010)".

I suspect there would be one HUGE blob in June 2010 where "libpng"
crosses the X axis.

I myself have spent at least an hour on each of the several machines
that I run.