On 08/16/10 19:47, Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
>> Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
>> installed.  It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
>> know.
>>
> Well, I'm not very expert about gentoo... I though it would query some kind
> of database to ask what package contains a certain file....
>
> Now I know it works differently...
>
> It would be neat if it could do that tho.  Just have no idea how it could.
>>  ;-)
>>
> I think querying an online database could be a nice solution.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter Humphrey wrote:

>>> If it weren't installed it wouldn't be able to announce what it was
>>> searching for and where   :-)
>> Some new people think it knows where things come from even if it is not
>> installed.  It can't do that so I posted that in case the person didn't
>> know.  Then I posted a way to find out even if a package is not installed.
>>  I didn't know about that website until someone pointed it out to me many
>> ages ago.
>>
>> It would be neat if it could do that tho.  Just have no idea how it could.
>>  ;-)
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
Yeah, sorry, I only included that "equery belongs" bit last time to show
that it was installed on my system, and that the libxfce4util package
installed it.  I didn't mean to say you should look for it there; it's
not going to find it, as has been pointed out before.  My only point was
that emerging libxfce4util *should* have installed that file; since it
didn't, I would assume you need to look at that emerge process to find
out why; either it's not building it for some reason, or not installing
it after it's been built.

Jake Moe