On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:28 -0400, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:51 +1100, Adam Carter wrote:
> > I use an xorg.conf, and have the following;
> >
> > Section "Files"
> >         ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
> >         ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/xorg-x11/extensions/"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Your xorg cant find the dri and dri2 modules because its not looking
> > in the second directory.
> >
> > Also, it might be worth trying the latest driver, so
> > # echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64"
> > Then emerge ati-drivers again.
> >
> > If that doesnt help, send the X11 log again after you've made those
> > changes.
>
> I made the changes above, and added the fbdev entry to VIDEO_CARDS from
> Nikos' e-mail.
>
> I also added fglrx to my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file.
>
> It's a bit overkill but next I did emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav
> world before running emerge -NDuav system and emerge -NDuav world.
>
> I rebooted the machine, ran startx and it looks like success.
> I reinstalled xdm to the default runlevel, and I have a working graphics
> card.  Thanks all for the advice.
>
> There are a couple of issues:
> (1) Even though the resolution is set to 1920 x 1080, it appears to be
> scaled so that it doesn't fill the entire screen.  It is scaled to about
> 90% for some reason.
> (2) Compositing is not supported as it stands.  I may need to switch
> that on in xorg.conf.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix the scaling issue or whether it is advisable
> should turn on compositing in xorg.conf?
>
> Jeff

In case anyone is suffering the same problem.   I fixed the display
scaling issue.

The ATI Catalyst control center in KDE allows you to change the scaling
options.  My display was set to about 7% underscaling in the display
manager DTV1 menu, on the adjustments tab.  All I needed to do was move
the scaling slider all the way to the right, and the display scaled
perfectly.

Now, if only I could get compositing working :-/

Jeff