On Friday 19 November 2010 09:04:26 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 03:44 on Friday 19 November 2010, Walter
> Dnes
>
> did opine thusly:
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:20:52PM -0600, Dale wrote
> >
> > > This is mine and it worked when I rebooted a bit ago.
> > >
> > > LABEL=boot        /boot        ext2        noatime        1 2
> > > LABEL=root         /        reiserfs    defaults    0 1
> > > LABEL=swap        none        swap        sw        0 0
> > > LABEL=portage    /usr/portage    ext3        defaults    0 1
> > > LABEL=home        /home        reiserfs    defaults    1 1
> > > LABEL=data        /data        reiserfs    defaults    0 1
> > >
> > > I use a variety of file systems don't I?  lol  I hope that helps.
> > >
> >   I have my own weird setup that optimizes disk usage, without LVM.  It
> >
> > consists of a 256 *MEGA*byte / partition (ext2fs), some swap, and the
> > rest of the drive is one big reiserfs3 partition mounted as /home.
> > /opt, /var, /usr/, and /tmp physically reside on the big /home
> > partition, but are bindmounted into the / partition.
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> >
> > /dev/sda1               1      121601   976760001    5  Extended
> > /dev/sda5               1          33      265009+  83  Linux
> > /dev/sda6              34        1209     9446188+  82  Linux swap /
> > Solaris /dev/sda7            1210      121601   967048708+  83  Linux
> >
> > /dev/sda5               /         ext2     noatime,nodiratime,async
> > 0 1 /dev/sda7               /home     reiserfs
> > noatime,nodiratime,async,notail 0 1 /home/bindmounts/opt    /opt
> > auto
> >
> >     bind                            0 0 /home/bindmounts/var    /var
> >
> > auto     bind                            0 0 /home/bindmounts/usr    /usr
> >
> >     auto     bind                            0 0 /home/bindmounts/tmp
> >
> > /tmp      auto     bind                            0 0 /dev/sda6
> >
> >     none      swap       sw                            0 0
>
> Let me optimize that for you a little bit more:
>
> A single 1T reiser3 partition mounted at /
>
> This will optimize away the small performance loss introduced by that
> (empty) / on ext2
>
> Seriously dude, this looks like a dumb scheme that gives you warm and
> fuzzies but doesn't actually accomplish anything except increased
> complexity.
>
> Feel free to publish verifiable metrics to back up your case.

Haven't we been around the houses with this 4 years ago, only to conclude that
this is how Walter liked to run his fs?  I can't recall what the main benefit
was (other than backing up a single physical partition), but I think it was
argued at the time that performance wise it would be better if all these
directories were placed directly in their own independent partitions (esp.
/tmp, /var and perhaps /usr).

Also primary partitions which he does not seem to be using at all have a
slight edge over logical.

Anyway, this is Gentoo linux afterall so we can play tunes on our fs
architecture more freely than other OS/distros to meet our particular needs.
--
Regards,
Mick