On Thursday 25 November 2010 17:40:08 David W Noon wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:10:02 +0100, sam new wrote about Re:
>
> [gentoo-user] Re: i486:
> >I have try LFS (linux from scratch) ,and install gentoo use
> >stage3 .Does the stage1 installs  like that,Compile the toolchain and
> >build the system?
>
> Yes,  You have to use the bootstrap compiler to build GCC, even before
> you build a kernel or glibc.  It's long-winded and fairly technically
> demanding.

I recall building a few systems in the early days of gentoo.  The funny thing
is that other than burning and booting Knoppix a couple of times I had no
Linux knowledge or experience.  However, the gentoo handbook held my hand step
by step and all these years later I'm still here.  So, if I could do it, I
wouldn't really call it technically demanding.  ;-)

I guess the OP could use something like this, unless there's a better way
documented somewhere else:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12
--
Regards,