On Friday 26 November 2010 14:32:58 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> One could ask the question "where did the first assembler come from?"
>
> Just as the first OSes and compilers were written in assembler to
> bootstrap C, so the first assemblers were written in hex codes to
> bootstrap the assembler. But hex code editors ran software, so where
> did the first hex code input gadget come from?
>
> And the answer to that is that it was written in binary. Yes that's
> right - a panel with 16 toggle switches and a few pushbuttons. Those
> didn't require software as everything was implemented in hardware.

Except that in my case it was 24 switches, not 16 (this was a dedicated
process-control computer for nuclear-powered ships and power stations,
35 years ago). And I sometimes had to make individual holes in the paper
tape to "write" or change the code.

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.