On Friday 26 November 2010, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
> Dale,
>
> One thing to keep in mind w/ power supplies is that you don't want to run
> them normally at more than X% of peak capacity -- most of them have a
> sweet spot in load where they are rated for efficiency and noise.  Choose
> your power supply based on that load % rather than max required wattage.
> Most of the vendor websites will have a graph of power/noise versus
> wattage.
>
> For a new system which you may keep around for 5-10 years and upgrade as
> time goes by, I'd consider putting in a ~800W unit which hopefully you'll
> run at under 50% load.

The stuff Dale wants tro buy wouldn't even reach 250ł AT FULL LOAD.

Even my rig - hotter, doesn't reach 300W when I artificially torture the
system. Normal 'max' load is in 200W range. An normal desktop? Under 100.

You don't want to get to far below 20% PSU load or efficiency is shot.

So an 800W PSU is stupid in every regard. 650 is way to big. 450 is good
enough. 400W might even be good enough.

> I've had very good experience with OCZ models.

Aren't those rebranded Seasonics?

> The 800W is based on some reading I had done that indicated that newer
> motherboards/cpu's/+higher end video cards would bring power util in the
> ~400-500W range.   I'm sure you can google for your own calculator.

which are all powered by PSU sellers...

> I'm not that familiar with the other components you listed, but I've
> definitely had better experience w/ Kingston ram than crucial, and
> thermaltake makes good cases and chassis accessories.  For motherboards,
> I've always been partial to ASUS or Gigabyte for workstations/desktops.

my current ASUS board is a piece of shit. Two repairs because the board loves
to fry the bios chip. When the box is on but not used for a while, it might
lock up completely. So completely I had to remove the battery and set the bios
jumper to get it back working. Asus has become worse than their daughter
Asrock.
Nothing bad to say about Gigabyte. I am still waiting for a reply from their
support. Send the mail 12 years ago ;)