On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm confused about which of all these various mechanisms apply to single-cpu
> machines.  AFAICT Con's BFS (e.g.) is really a CPU scheduler and doesn't
> affect
> single-cpu machines very much.  What about CFQ and group scheduling?
>  Others?
>
> Thanks for any clues.

Don't mix them,

CFS --> upstream official CPU scheduler (also supports cgroups, that
got used in the 200line patch, which is useless imo)
CFQ --> upstream official I/O (disk) scheduler (afaik the only one
that supports "ionice")

BFS --> ck's CPU scheduler
(I don't know what i/o scheduler ck's patchset uses)

Anyway, the problem with the long pauses under disk usage is not
related to any scheduler at all, and it is a "page cache management"
problem that the linux kernel has (in all new versions).

CK's patchset includes optimizations to page cache management. (Not
related to any scheduler) so it is worth a try. That's it.